I am currently remodeling the first bedroom that two of our boys share.
The boys weren't loving the flower border, peach carpet and ruffled valance left by the previous owners of the house (this was their daughter's room). I wasn't loving the inefficiency of the closets. The big, heavy sliding doors are difficult for little boys to use and they were constantly getting caught on clothes that would inevitably fall off the too-shallow, too-high shelves that the boys couldn't easily reach. Plus, the closets were much larger than necessary, which equates to wasted space (a huge pet peeve of mine).
This is how the bedroom used to look:
I have the new closets almost completely built. I am currently working on the closet doors. While I wait for them to dry, I plan to foll nail holes with wood fill and wire the light fixture for the reading nook. Once the doors are all glued up (I only have enough clamps to glue one door per day), I can start sanding everything down, add crown and base moulding and then paint everything and install the new light fixture and the door and drawer hardware. I will also be beefing up the trim on the bedroom entry door, adding trim to the existing window, and replacing the peach carpet with something more masculine and neutral. This is what everything looks like right now:
|Reading Nook and Closets Built|
|Building Closet Doors|
|Reading Nook Up Close|
Ready to prime (notice the light fixture I installed in the nook--pretty proud of myself for wiring that)
|Reading Nook Light Fixture Wired and Installed|
I've been working on some details between coats of primer and paint. I updated the ceiling fan by replacing the light kit with a schoolhouse fixture, painting the brass and white all oil-rubbed bronze, and painting the gray/white blades a softer and creamier white to match the built-ins.
|BEFORE: Ceiling Fan (sorry for the bad picture--only one I had)|
|AFTER: Ceiling Fan (again, bad picture, but gives you the idea)|
I also wanted more prominent trim throughout the house, so I'm starting in this room and will update as I move throughout the house. Since it would cost too much to replace all the trim, I decided to just build it up by adding onto it with cheap lumber:
|BEFORE Trim: notice the nearly non-existent baseboard and standard door casing|
|DURING Trim: Just routed the edge of some furring strips and added to the outside of the casings and bottom of the baseboards|
|AFTER Trim: baseboards after being painted|
|AFTER Trim: Door Casing after being painted|
The other little detail I've been working on is the door hinges. You may recall that I painted all the door knobs in our house a while back. Well, the hinges in the house were all painted white right along with the doors--like they were never removed, just painted over. So, I put off restoring them. But, I figured I would have to take the door off the hinges to paint it to match the room, so now was the perfect time to remove the hinges, strip them, and paint them properly. Stripping wasn't near as difficult as I thought it would be. I simply took the hinges apart and boiled them in an old pan with some water and baking soda. The paint came easily right off. I then scuffed them up with a wire brush and then spray painted them the oil-rubbed bronze to match all the other hardware.
|COMPLETED Door with updated hardware and trim|
I am getting really close to being done with the remodel. Here is what it looks like right now, all painted and with most of the doors installed:
UPDATE: Drawer fronts are installed and hardware is all in.
|Cabinet above nook holds crib mattress that fits in nook|
|Drawer Fronts Installed|
|Bench Stained and Bottom Bookshelves Primed|
|Window Trim Installed and ready to Stain. Walls Painted.|
|Socks, Underwear, and Undershirts Stocked|
|Pajamas Stocked (don't know why Blogger insists on rotating these pics wrong)|
|Sweaters Stocked. Dirty Clothes in their drawer.|
|Ben's Books and Nick Nacks Arranged|
|Jesse's Books and Nick Nacks Arranged|
|Check out the Bulletin Board I made for the boys--Cheapo cork board from Walmart covered with Burlap and upholstery tacks. The boys started hanging their stuff on it before I even got it in the room!|
Here's how the room looks today (again, please try to ignore the pink carpet)
|Entering the room (notice how nicely my grandpa's old military trunk fits in--I love it)|
|Window is stained--My husband LOVES it, I'm still trying to decide whether or not I would like it better painted.|
|Bulletin Board has already been put to use by the boys|
In the mean time, my sister insisted that I post a picture of me pregnant in the remodel (as well as one in the second bedroom remodel, which i will add to that post) since I've been doing the remodeling during my pregnancy. So, here it is: