So, I still haven't picked out the carpet for the first bedroom remodel (which can be seen here). Nor, have I gotten around to decorating that room. You see, about the time I moved the two boys into that room, I found out I was expecting our fifth little tike. A trimester of being way too sick to accomplish anything then followed. But, being that I only have a few months before we welcome this little one into our home, I need to get at least the second bedroom done so that I can move the other two boys into it and free up the little room for a nursery.
Here's how the bedroom looks before. Notice the "delightful" Phantom of the Opera theme left by the previous owners. Needless to say, my boys haven't been thrilled with that theme for their bedroom. :)
Today, deconstruction on the bedroom began:
I have removed the closet doors and tracks, pulled up the carpet, removed the baseboards, disassembled the closets, and am now in the process of tearing out the closet walls and patching drywall.
|My two oldest are finally big enough to actually be helpful with some of the work. Here they are pulling out drywall nails. They even said that it was "more fun that video games"! What more could a mother ask for?|
Next, I will begin building the built-in beds. Keep posted for updates as things progress. Things with this room may be slow-going as the demands of pregnancy seem to slow me down.
I am hopeful, though not really optimistic, of also being able to do the third room so I can have a cute nursery for this baby (since my last two babies didn't get to have a nursery--both being born during transition stages of our lives). I would love to get the nursery done and not feel the urge to do it when the baby is actually here. I would just like to enjoy having the bedrooms done and functional for the kids once the baby is here. We shall see how it all goes.
UPDATE: The closets are completely removed. I moved the swamp cooler's water line to inside the wall. I've got that beds and the window seat built. I found a working outlet inside the old window seat, so I moved that above the new one so it is accessible and usable. I've assembled and installed the drawers (sans the drawer fronts which I'm hoping to build this week).
Drawer Fronts are routed, built, and ready to paint and install:
Window Seat is cut, routed, and ready to be finished and installed:
Window sill is cut, routed, and ready to be finished and installed:
Door casing and base boards are all installed and ready to be finished (since all the molding is doubled-up, this was twice the work as I had to make all the cuts twice):
And, my final accomplishment for this week--Pull-chains added to lights and wire finally pulled so that lights are ready to be wired and installed:
Things have been slow-going with the pregnancy slowing me down, but it's been a productive week. I'm exhausted but hoping to continue to make good progress toward finishing. Next, I need to trim the remainder of the built-in bed nook and then build the closet armoire. Then, all that will be left is priming and painting everything.
UPDATE: Walls and ceiling are painted and the window seat and window sill are installed:
UPDATE: Ceiling and back wall of bed nooks, installed:
UPDATE: I have the BEST parents ever! They decided to come visit for a day and help me with the remodel--a much welcome visit as I am so exhausted and need to get this room done soon! As a result, I am almost ready to start building the wardrobe! The face trim is now installed on the bed nook and the window seat. All the trim and walls are primed AND painted. The ceiling fan is refinished and ready to be hung. The reading lights are wired and installed in the bed nook. The drawer fronts are installed and pulls attached to the drawers.
|Trundle bed fits nicely. Mattress fits properly--just need to add the second one.|
UPDATE: Shelves are installed. One mattress in place (though still need the other and matching bedding) . Now onto installing the trundle door and faux beam . . . .
UPDATE: The boys are already insisting on sleeping in their new room, even though I haven't built the wardrobe yet. But, I finished everything else today--Ceiling fan is refinished and installed and beam is built, stained, and installed:
UPDATE: I am on the final part of the remodel--the wardrobe. First, I made a plan and shopping list:
UPDATE: The wardrobe is built. I'm just waiting for the mirrors to be cut and trying to make a final decision on the hardware. All the "open" spaces in the picture will be mirrors. Also, it only has one coat of paint on, but the paint guys COULD NOT mix the color I chose and a second coat is definitely not going to get it as dark as I wanted. It was supposed to be darker and grayer. Instead it seems kind of like a robin egg blue. I'm not loving the color--it's more feminine and I wanted a more masculine color--and I am debating if I should try to mix paint again so I can paint it a different color before I insert the glass. What do you think?
UPDATE: I have finished the wardrobe: the glass and hardware are now installed. No goign back on the paint color now!
UPDATE: After just nine MONTHS of trying to decide on a carpet choice (yes, it really did take me that long to make a decision), the carpet is FINALLY in! It looks so much better in person than in the pictures. it is a textured carpet so it looks very classy.
And, because my sister insisted that we need to remember how pregnant I was while doing this remodel, she made me take and post this picture (as well as one in the other remodel, which I will add to that post):
my sister found for me to use in the room! I'm so relieved I don't have to make one myself. Haha!
UPDATE: I just build this little bed-side step-stool to go next to the beds so my two-year-old can climb into bed more easily: