Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bread Boards


So my AWESOME neighbor brings me scraps of a variety of beautiful hardwoods (along with other woods as well).  He shares my love for wood and building.  So, I've been saving these scraps up and have been wanting to make some bread boards out of them.  With the holidays arriving, I wanted to get them done so I can use them on Thanksgiving.  So, we had a few warm days this week and I took the opportunity to get outside and make these suckers.  I am so pleased with how they turned out.

First I made these individual mini-breadboards that can be set at each place setting on the table.  Each one is different.  I bought some tiny metal ramekins to set on each one for butter, jam, etc.



Then I made these french bread board because I LOVE french bread and frequently use it in my meals.



Then, I finished up with a couple fancy shmancy boards for fun.  I did a pizza board and what we have already kicknamed my strawberry board.


So, I deliberated long and hard on if I should ensure that they are all perfectly symmetrical and perfectly sanded and finally decided against it.  I tried to make them mostly symmetrical, but I liked the imperfections giving them more of a hand-made, old-world look rather than a machine-made, brand-new look.  I like the finished product.  Now, if I could just get to my kitchen remodel, I will get something built to display them on when they are not in use . . . .

Update (December 2012):
Here are a few that I made for Christmas gifts for my family.  They seemed to like them.



Love it when I get to actually use my "minis".  So fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are awesome! I love, love, love them!

a.k.a. Jack said...

Thanks, Missy!