Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Marionettes

This year for Christmas, I made marionettes for Nathan and Ben.  I made a T-Rex and a Beetle.  First, I drew out patterns until I was satisfied.  Then, I transferred the drawings to 1x pine boards with carbon paper.  Then, I cut the pieces with my scroll saw and sanded down all the edges.  Then I attached the pieces to each other with rope and hung the marionettes with fishing line.  If I make more in the future, I will make larger handles on top.  I made small handles, because I thought that would be easier for small hands.  But, it turns out that, in practice, the smaller the handles the larger the movement required to get the same effect.  So, in essence, small handles make it more difficult for small hands to move the marionettes--especially the beetle, as it has 6 legs.  Though, I am pleased that the T-Rex moves with the side-to-side sway that i was hoping to give it.  The kids can still play with them, but they would have been much easier if the handles were bigger.  I learned my lesson.  Maybe if I find extra time some day I will replace the handles on these with larger ones.  I will definitely make future marionettes with larger handles.  Here are some pictures and videos of the marionettes.




No comments: