Friday, July 11, 2008

Jack of all trades, master of none

So, everyone keeps telling me I need to start a blog. Well, I'm going to try it out. We'll see how it goes. Unfortunately, I spent several hours trying to come up with a stupid name for this thing. If that's the way it's gong to go with this, I may not post very often. I wanted to use the blog to share with my family and friends the projects that I work on. I try to work on projects all the time to keep sane. However, I don't really get to share them with anyone. However, the process of project-working has helped me learn many new skills. People have called me a renaissance woman, but i don't really think that accurately describes me. A renaissance woman would have mastered several skills. I must say that I do not really ever master any of them because I like to learn new things before I get a chance to master the old things. So, I would consider myself more a jack of all trades, master of none. Or more accurately, jack of many trades master of none. I don't know why I don't master any particular skill. With as long as i have been playing piano, you would think I would have mastered it by now. I had an epiphany lately though. That is, I don't play piano (or do any other skill or sport or whatever) in order to perform it for others, I just do it because I enjoy it. I guess if the goal is not for the enjoyment of anyone but yourself, then you really don't need to master things You just need to set and accomplish goals and learn new things. That's basically how I run my life: set and accomplish goals and learn new things. Maybe now that I am going to try to share my projects with you guys I will actually master something at some point because now I will have a third party critiquing my work. Maybe it will just be too much and I will stop sharing. Who knows. I guess this blog thing is, in and of itself, a new task to learn . . . a new goal to set and accomplish. If I find that I enjoy it, I will probably stick to it. I guess it's an experiment that we all get to share in. Aren't you all so lucky? If nothing else, you will get to enjoy the humor of how many terrible typos I make all the time and what a horrible speller I am. That is, if spell check doesn't catch all my mistakes. Well, here it goes. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

EMILY said...

oh jen, you don't give yourself enough credit! you are AMAZINGLY talented! of course, the people who are truly masters of something ONLY are talented at that one thing. they don't have time for anything else! better to be good at alot of things than great at one.