Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pocket Slings

So, my sister-in-law put together a boutique in order to raise money to adopt a little boy from Ethiopia.  So, I donated some baby slings to her boutique to sell.  I first received one as a gift from a very talented friend in Las Vegas, when I was pregnant with my first baby.  Since that time, I have slowly adapted her design to create basically the same sling, only on a much smaller scale and with fabric that breaths well (to keep me and my baby cool in the summer).  I first added a pocket to the original design so I could fold up the sling into it's own pocket for easier transportation of the sling when not in use and to hold things while I use the sling (like my keys and wallet and pacifiers, diapers, wipes, etc.).  I have since experimented with different fabrics and rings until I have come up with this "pocket sling".  I call it a pocket sling because (1) it has that pocket it folds into that can also be used to carry pacifiers, diapers, etc. while the sling is in use and (2) because it folds up small enough to fit in a loose pocket, or (more realistically) in your purse or diaper bag.  It's still the original 2 yards of fabric, but fold up very small and uses small 2" bone rings to secure it.  I use my own pocket sling all the time and keep in in the car, as I don't personally carry a purse.  But, when I have a newborn again, I will keep another in my diaper bag.  They are so convenient for not only carrying your baby, without having to lug around a bluky baby backpack, frontpack, or stroller, but also seem to work well as a quick blanket alternative when you have a sleepy baby away from home (as they are easily as big as a blankie when unfolded (and if you make yours out of the same fabric as your baby's favorite blankie, they fill that roll even better).  Anyway, here's s few pictures of some of the slings I've made so you can see how to make one for yourself.  Tricot and nylon lining fabric both seem to work great as they are soft to the touch, fold up small, keep the baby cool in the summer, and fit nicely through the 2" bone rings.  The sling can be used with newborns, infants, or toddlers--just adjust the tension to fit.  They also can be worn like a front pack, back pack, or on your hip, whichever is most comfortable.  They really are so versatile--make yourself one if you have little ones at home!


Pocketed Sling with quarter for size reference:
Unfolded Sling with quarter for size reference:
Sling secured in rings and ready to wear with quarter for size reference:
Close up of how the rings secure the sling:
My lovely sister-in-law modeling one of the slings with my 2 year old Jesse in tow (Jesse loves the sling and rides in one daily on our morning family walls):




3 comments:

The Yoder's Five said...

I didn't know you made yours! Looks so comfy. I wish someone would carry me around in one of those. You need to patent that thing.

a.k.a. Jack said...

Me too! I could make one big enough to fit us. Now, if we can just find a giant to carry us. :)
I can't take credit for these, as I got the original from someone else. All I did was make them smaller and easier to pack around.

Katrina said...

I wish I would have had one of those when I had little babies. I seems like it would have been a lot more comfortable then the baby pack I hauled around all the time.