Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Entryway

We are getting the entryway under way.  Of course, I forgot to take before pictures again. After more than a decade of living with the hideous "flesh-colored" paint, we FINALLY painted the walls the creamy white I like (and by "we", I mean my contractor's right-hand man, Mark).  We will be renovating the whole staircase and removing the carpet to make way for wood with a runner. Our contractor, Shane Chuning, installed gorgeous faux beams he built and finished by hand out of alder.  Stay tuned for more pictures of the entryway and stairs as we make more progress.  





Finally settled on a light fixture.  I knew the style I wanted but couldn't find it in the size and finish I wanted.  So, I purchased this one in a brass finish (which was actually a very pretty finish and would have matched my raw brass sconces I made perfectly, but I wanted to keep things cohesive with all my ceiling fixtures being a dark bronze finish), and I disassembled it and spray painted it with a Rustoleum bronze paint.  My body was exhausted from balancing while installing it (my husband was sick that day and my kids were otherwise engaged so I didn't have any extra hands to help me), but it turned out gorgeous!  If I were to shop for one again, I would save myself the time and hassle of trying to find the right finish and just get the perfect light and paint it.  It took way less time to paint it than it took searching for the perfect light in the finish I wanted.  Not sure why I didn't think of it sooner, as that is how I updated the ceiling fans in the kids' bedrooms years ago.  Live and learn . . . .  I will take this lesson with me as I search for my dining room and library lights. 



The scale and height of the fixture works perfectly for the tall, narrow entryway/stairwell.  It looks beautiful in the day with the light off as well.

Now, we still need to remodel the balustrade/stairway, replace the flooring, add a hall tree inside the front door, and find the perfect pot for the entryway tree we want to grow in here.  Then, it will just be down to adding artwork and such.  Stay tuned.


No comments: