Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Living Room

 As with in our master bedroom, we are also installing a custom fireplace in the living room.  We are in the process.  The first contractor we hired was really difficult to work with and quit mid-project, leaving us with a half-job. So, we still need to build and install the mantel and overmantel.  The process has been quite the nightmare which I won't bore you with, but I'm very unimpressed with Mendota as well (the fireplace manufacturer).  We now have a MUCH better contractor, Shane Chuning, who pays attention to detail and doesn't mind working with home-owners like myself to whom detail is very important.  We plan to install wood flooring and a built-in daybed in the bay window.  We had Shane pull out the gigantic drywalled bookshelves (I hope I can find some before pictures of that) and will replace them with pretty built-in furniture style shelves similar to the ones I built in the library.  We (well, Shane's guy, Mark) FINALLY painted over the hideous flesh colored paint we have lived with for over a decade with a more soothing creamy white. Mark is a hard worker.  That was ALOT of painting.  Again, we custom ordered the handmade tile for the fireplace, which turned out GORGEOUS. We also had Shane raise the arch (so that my tall husband and sons don't hit their heads on it anymore) and add a faux beam he made by hand over the bay window.  Photos are limited again (I'm the worst), but here is what I have thus far:

Living room BEFORE

My attempt at a color rendering

Low arch


Super low arch that we have now raised high.



My design drawings for the fireplace design

Wall sconces going in


My amazing handyman, Jeremy Snyder, laying out the handmade tile we custom ordered for the hearth. Jeremy is a miracle-worker with tile:  he is seriously SO good.

New faux beam and ceiling fan and paint

Arch raised and corner drywalled bookshelf gone.  I haven't yet decided how I want to trim out the opening.  I will like case it with white casing to match the other casing throughout the house.


Design drawings for the bay window daybed (and the master bedroom window seat)

Working with the tile maker to get our tile just right.  She was seriously talented.  I need to find her name and business name so I can reference her.


No comments: