Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bathroom Vanity and Sink

So, my boys' bathroom was very awkward.  The vanity sink stuck out so far into the room that it blocked the door, crowded the flow of traffic, and scared you with its daunting corner when you tried to sit on the toilet.  It also was only big enough for one person to use at a time.  Not good.  But, it was a standard-sized vanity.  And, there simply aren't vanities (or sinks) narrow enough for the space (except expensive euro-style vanities/sinks, which still would only accommodate one person at a time).  So, I decided to make one myself.  I bought an acacia wood tray to use for the sink.  I built everything else with the cheapest pine boards and 2x4s at the hardware store.  I added bail pulls on the ends to hold hand towels and put a long mirror above the vanity so all four boys can use it at once.  I finished the sink and vanity top with Waterlox to protect them from the water.  I finished the shelves with polyurethane (a less expensive finish) to protect them from water.  I found that the grid-style drains simply do not have enough venting to drain properly, so I jery-rigged the overflow drain that came with the faucet to work in a no-overflow sink.  In the end, I am very pleased with the results.  The bathroom feels so much more open now and has plenty of space for all four boys to use at once.

 Crowded Bathroom BEFORE





Vanity






Bathroom AFTER

(I switched the towel bar out for hooks that are easier for little boys to use)





8 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome Jen! I wish I had your wood working abilities. No clue how to work tools. I have to rely on Byron and that takes for.ev.er. Maybe you can give me tips? By the way, I usually edit and rotate my photos in Photobucket(it's free) and then load the html code onto the blog.

Melinda said...

Jen, that is so beautiful. You are amazing.

Emily @ RemarkableHome said...

Wow!!! Seriously wow!! It looks sooo good. How deep is the sink? Do u have a water splashing problem?

a.k.a. Jack said...

Thanks, guys!

Heather, I happy to give tips any time, though I'm no expert.

Emily, the tray is about an inch or an inch and a half deep, then the thickness of the countertop is another 3/4". We haven't had any splashing problems and the kids requested that the faucet be on the side, so it can be a "drinking fountain" too. Now Jesse just "HAS" to get a drink like five times each night. :) It seems to work really well for the kids. I think other faucet styles might have splashing issue, however, but I think you could just turn down the water pressure from the inlets under the sink. But, who knows.

With love said...

Wow looks great Jenny! Great job!

a.k.a. Jack said...

Thanks, Ebba!

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE this!!! Approx how much did it cost to make? Wonder if I could get someone to help us build a similar one? We live in Tennessee.....
Many thanks!

a.k.a. Jack said...

Thank you so much. I'm glad you like it. I'm so sorry, but I didn't keep a record of how much it cost overall. All the 2x4s that I used were ones I actually pulled out of a wall I tore down in my home. The lumber I purchased you could easily look up on Home Depot's website (I used 1x2 furring strips that I hand picked for the slats--they're like $2/8ft piece I think or maybe only $1, 4x4s for the legs, and a 1x12x6 common board for the top, and of course you could just buy 2x4 studs for the 2x4s--which are usually about $5/8' piece I think). The nails and screws I used are ones I had on hand. The faucet I reused from the former sink. The acacia wood tray that I used for the sink basin and the bail pulls I used for towel rods and the baskets were probably the most expensive parts. I can't remember how much they were though, just that I spent alot of time searching for a good deal online. Haha! I'm sorry I'm not much help. :( But, as far as lumber goes, if you use stock lumber and furring strips, my guess would be around $50 for the lumber--but that's just a rough estimate--if you look up the individual boards on homedepot.com, you could get a more accurate idea. Also, the remaining parts would really come down to how good a deal you could find them for. Good luck and I'm sorry for not having a more accurate number for you.