Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cheap Hardware Make-over

So, our house is full of brass hardware.  I am NOT a fan of brass.  And, incidentally, brass is not "in" right now either so it gives the house a dated look.  But, hardware is EXPENSIVE!  So, I decided to try a little updating on the cheap.  I spray-painted all the hardware with Rustoleum Oil-rubbed bronze primer/spray-paint in one.  I figured I had nothing to lose.  And, I am so pleased.  It has held up really well and looks SO much better.  It looks much more upscale now and complements the nickel fixtures instead of clashing with them like the brass did.  The only hardware I actually changed were the builder's grade outdoor light fixtures.  Everything else was done with paint.  You would never know they used to be brass.  And, it has been months now and they are still holding up well.  I figure I can touch them up if I need to in the future, but, so far the only one's that need any touch-ups are the ones my three-year-old got to before they were totally dry.  In order to paint everything, I removed it all, cleaned it with wet-wipes, scuffed it with steel wool, and wiped it down with a microfiber tack cloth before spray painting.  I would like to do all the hinges as well, but since the previous owner painted them all, it will be such a big job to strip the paint, it may  be a while before I get the courage to tackle that project.  (UPDATE:  I am working on the hinges for each room as I do the rooms individually--turns out it's not a bad as I thought--just boil the hinges in baking soda and water--using an old pan you don't use for food--and the paint comes right off!) Anyway, here are some before and after pictures.  I don't have really good before since I didn't take any and just had to use what I could find after-the-fact.

BEFORE



  AFTER




 

No comments: