Friday, March 9, 2012

Knife Block Drawer Organizer

Today I made this knife block drawer organizer.  I was tired of having a messy drawer of knives.  Not only is it inconvenient, but it's also dangerous.  It turned out pretty well.  I made one cut 1/8" off by accident.  That, consequently, threw everything else off so that I could not maintain uniform spacing and still have the block function properly.  So, that was very frustrating.  I had planned to sand it down more and oil it and make it all beautiful, but after the frustration of the wrong cut, I gave up and threw it in the knife drawer to start using it.  It's still quite pretty and, being that it's in the drawer, I don't care that it's not perfect.  If it bugs me, I can go back and touch it up later.  It seems to function really well, which pleases me.  It holds all my knives, with a little room to spare and still leave enough space for my other cutting utensils (e.g., egg slicer, apple corer/slicer, french fry slicer, can opener, rasp grater, peelers, garlic press, etc.)  It's so much nicer than it was before when everything was just thrown in the drawer.  And, the drawer is right below a built-in cutting board--bonus points for that.  Overall, I'm pleased with the end result but this project cost me just enough time and sanity to make it worth it to me to just buy one in the future, even though they cost a small fortune.

No comments: